Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Miracle of Christmas

First of all - Merry Christmas! May God bless you and yours at this special time when we remember the day that He humbled Himself and came into our world as a helpless baby with a destiny to be our Savior.

As I was writing my blog last night, I was overcome with the sheer magnitude of the significance of Christmas. That first Christmas must have really been something when viewed on a galactic stage. The Bible says that "the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now." (Romans 8:22). Also, "the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God." and "creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God." (Romans 8:19&21). Literally, the Universe itself held its breath in expectation and awe on that precious night. Its Creator, the Maker of the stars and heavens, was beginning His most incredible work yet. He was transforming Himself into one of His own creations so that He could live among them and die for them in order to set the Universal scales back into balance. Once and for all, He was about to blot out the stain that sin and imperfection had brought to His perfect Creation. My heart jumps and my mind swirls as I think of the immensity of the impact that this night would have on the entire Universe.

And so, as I talked about yesterday, His mighty army of angels heralded his coming. Shepherds dropped what they were doing in the wilderness and came to see and worship this marvel who was God in the flesh. Learned scholars from from far-away lands journeyed for months to bring gifts to the King whom the very stars in the heavens had proclaimed to them was now living on our little planet. All of Creation...the Universe itself...was watching with excitement to see the revealing of its Creator's final masterpiece. Even the stars were literally standing still. Am I the only one with the goosebumps?

It would make a great science-fiction story - but the cool thing is that it's not fiction. The real Creator of our real Universe literally came to our planet as a baby to live and die for us. The actual stars in our very real skies turned their attention to a little planet in between the spiral arms of a galaxy that would one day be known as the Milky Way, pausing in their courses to announce His coming to anyone who would look. The laws of physics were stretched beyond our understanding as magnificent, powerful, other-worldly beings from another realm of existence poured into our skies, heralding the coming of the Creator of all things. With all of its tricks and technology, Hollywood could never come close to portraying the immensity of what was happening on a galactic scale.

For me, the heaviest part about all of this is that, although He was about to do something that would change the entire Universe, the one thing that was on Jesus' mind that night was you. And me. The Bible is clear about the fact that we can't even begin to imagine what awaits us in Eternity. We're talking about Life on a Universal scale - when it comes to both time and space. What Jesus did while He was here on earth literally impacted all of Creation. I truly believe that if we die on this planet with Him in our life, then we will get to experience all of what we know is out there and more...forever. Jesus knew the impact that His sacrifice on this little planet would have on Eternity and the Universe. But my brain almost wants to shut down as the realization sinks in that what He did, he did for me. Personally. He knew my name - before He even came here. Two thousand years before I was even conceived. As big as He is, as much as He loves all of His Creation...He loves me so much that he came to a little backward planet, took off His kingly robes and crown and jewelry, humbled himself and took my punishment for my sins. No wonder the Universe was holding its breath.

If thinking about this doesn't move you to worship Him...well, maybe you should ask Him to give you a heart for Christmas. Seriously, friends, the Universe is a BIG place. The fact that God even remembers where our solar system is is a miracle unto itself. He literally holds the Universe in balance, and yet He put everything on 'pause' to do what He did for you...thinking of you the entire time...my brain can't even begin to grasp that. This Christmas, if you have never had a personal talk with Him and thanked Him for loving you, do it! He is always listening. All you have to do is talk to Him. He'll hear it. If you already have a personal relationship with Him, thank Him again! All of Eternity won't be enough time to properly thank Him for what He has done for us.

Merry Christmas to all! May God bless each one of you as we head into a new year.



P.S. - I've said it before, but if this stuff is new or confusing to you and you'd like to talk some more about it, I'm always on facebook or you can email me at youngquistjr@hotmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I skimmed through this the other night, and ended up getting distracted and I don't think I finished it. Anyway, I re-read it tonight and am about to send it several of my friends.

    Thanks for the good words, dude.

    ReplyDelete